Friday, November 12, 2010

Changing Course or Chickening Out?

So, I've been at this professional writing thing for a month now, and I've written thousands of words for my article, but now I'm feeling like my idea is not going the way I thought it would. I feel like I'm not really bringing anything new to the table in terms of my approach to teaching writing (which seemed really revolutionary when I started it last year!). Now, I'm feeling like I have a better idea (similar to my first idea, but not similar enough to use any of what I've already written). My dilemma is this: am I really and truly finding that my original idea was just not meaty enough yet for an article and, thus, rightfully and intelligently changing course, or am I just chickening out and retreating into something new to avoid pushing through the tough stuff? I've seen students abandon essay after essay in favor of a different, more promising topic because they feel that each previous topic was "not working." Nine times out of ten, starting over is a bad idea because it's not the topic; it's the writer. What to do from here? Keep pushing the original idea, or store it away for future use and pursue the new?

4 comments:

  1. YIKES! Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. But to speak to your question: I always say pursue the idea about which you are most passionate! The pleasurable part (if there is one) about professional writing is writing about what you find most interesting/useful at the time for yourself and other educators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, then again, is it a sign of procrastination? I've been thinking about your question all day today... It's easy to have lots of different ideas when you are a classroom teacher - juggling so many balls each and every day. Sticking to your original draft, and at least getting some feedback on it at our next session, might feel very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't checked in a long, long time; I'm sorry.

    I have the same problem--feeling like I have nothing original to say--and then I'll come up with another topic and perhaps another one. I wonder if this relates to that article about writing myths we had to read for our meeting in October. Thinking of another topic might be a symptom of not feeling as if you're really a writer...then again, it might mean that you've found something you're more passionate about. I'd have to agree with Kristy that sticking with your original idea until you're able to get feedback will be satisfying for you. It'll probably also be less hectic than writing your new idea into existence and having to face a blank computer screen with the deadline looming...Anything that makes life calmer is a great thing to stick with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this comment is well after the fact, but I wanted to encourage you to focus on your students. They will always be original, so rather than trying to write about pedagogy in general, which is a trap I often fall into, zoom in on a few of your students - the one who "got" it, the one who struggled, the one who drives you nuts. Write about how they experienced the instruction and how the instruction affected them, and I bet you feel more original!

    ReplyDelete